Ferrari 246 F1
|Predecessor||Ferrari 801 F1|
|Successor||Ferrari 156 F1|
|Class||Formula One car|
|Engine(s)||2.4 L Ferrari Dino V6|
|Transmission(s)||Ferrari 4-speed Manual|
|Curb weight||560 kg|
The Ferrari 246 F1 was a Ferrari racing car built for the Formula One World Championship of 1958. The regulations for 1954-1960 limited naturally aspirated engines to 2500 cc and for the 1958 season there was a change from alcohol fuels to AvGas.
The 246 used a 2417 cc Dino V6 engine with a 65° angle between the cylinder banks. This was the first use of a V6 engine in a Formula One car, but otherwise the 246 was a conventional front engine design. The Ferrari 246 was good enough to win a World Championship for Mike Hawthorn and a second place in the Constructors Championship for Ferrari.
The Ferrari 246 was not only the first V6 engined car to win a Formula One Grand Prix, the French Grand Prix at Reims in 1958, it was also the last front engined car to win a Formula One Grand Prix. This occurred at the 1960 Italian Grand Prix at Monza, where the major British teams boycotted the race.