Ferrari 375 F1
From Ferrari Wiki
| 1951 Ferrari 375F1|
1951 Ferrari 375F1
|Predecessor||Ferrari 125 F1|
|Successor||Ferrari 553 F1|
|Car classification||Formula One car|
|Internal combustion engine||3.3 L Lampredi V12|
4.1 L Lampredi V12
4.5 L Lampredi V12
|Wheelbase||2320 mm (91 in)|
2420 mm (95 in)
|Length||3937 mm (155 in)|
|Width||1428 mm (56 in)|
|Height||960 mm (38 in)|
|Curb weight||850 kg (1874 lb)|
|Automotive design||Aurelio Lampredi|
After finding only modest success with the Supercharged 125 F1 car in Formula 1, Ferrari decided to switch for 1950 to the Naturally aspirated 4.5 L formula for the series. Calling in Aurelio Lampredi to replace Gioacchino Colombo as technical director, Enzo Ferrari directed that the company work in stages to grow and develop an entirely new large-displacement V12 engine for racing.
The first outcome of Lampredi's work was the experimental 275 S. Just two of these racing Barchetta were built, based on the 166 MM but using the experimental 3.3 L V12. These were raced at the Mille Miglia of 1950 on April 23, 1950. Although one car held the overall lead for a time, both were forced to retire with mechanical failure before the end.
The 275 F1 bowed at the 1950 Belgian Grand Prix on June 18, sporting the same 3.3 L (3322 cc/202 in³) version of Lampredi's new engine. With three Weber 42DCF Carburettor, a Single overhead camshaft for each bank of cylinders, and two valves per cylinder, the engine produced a capable 300 hp (224 kW) at 7200 rpm. Alberto Ascari drove the car to fifth place, marking the end of the 3.3 L engine.
The 275 was replaced at the Grand Prix of Nations at Geneva on July 30, 1950, by the 340 F1. As the name suggests, the car sported a larger 4.1 L (4101.66 cc/250 in³) version of Lampredi's V12. Other changes included a new De Dion tube rear suspension based on that in the Ferrari 166 F2 and four-speed gearbox. It had a longer 2420 mm (95 in) wheelbase, but other dimensions remained the same. With 335 hp (250 kW), Ascari was able to keep up with the Alfa Romeo 158 of Juan Manuel Fangio but retired with engine trouble. Although the 340 proved itself capable, it was only the middle step in Ferrari'a 1950 car development.
Ferrari achieved the 4.5 L goal of the formula with the 375 F1, two of which debuted at 1950 Italian Grand Prix on September 3, 1950. This 4.5 L (4493.73 cc/274 in³) engine produced roughly the same power as its 4.1 L predecessor, but its tractability earned Ascari second place in that debut race. A series of modifications through the 1951 season allowed Ferrari to finally put Alfa Romeo in Formula One behind it in a Formula 1 race, with Jose Froilan Gonzalez' victory at 1951 British Grand Prix on July 14 becoming the constructor's first World Championship win. Ascari's wins at 1951 German Grand Prix and 1951 Italian Grand Prix and strong finishes throughout the season cemented the company's position as a Formula 1 contender.
Changes in the Formula 1 regulations led the company to shift the big engine to an Indianapolis 500, the 1952 375 Indy. Three new Weber 40IF4C carburettors brought power output to 400 hp (298 kW), the wheelbase was lengthened, and the chassis and suspension were strengthened. Although the car performed well in European testing, it was not able to meet the American challenge, with just one of four 375s even qualifying for the 1952 race.
The big V12 was scrapped for 1954 as Formula 1 required a 2.5 L engine. The new Ferrari 553 F1 adopted Lampredi's four cylinder engine, leaving the V12 for sports car use.
- Ascerbi, Leonardo (2006). Ferrari: A Complete Guide to All Models. Motorbooks. ISBN 0-7603-2550-2.