From Ferrari Wiki
|Parent company||Fiat Group|
|Car classification||Grand tourer|
|Car body style||2-door, 4-seat Convertible|
|Automobile layout||Front mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout|
|Internal combustion engine||4,297 cc (262.2 cu in) 90° V8 engine|
|Transmission (mechanics)||7-speed Dual-clutch automated Manual transmission|
|Wheelbase||2,670 mm (105.1 in)|
|Length||4,563 mm (179.6 in)|
|Width||1,902 mm (74.9 in)|
|Height||1,308 mm (51.5 in)|
|Curb weight||1,630 kg (3,594 lb) (dry) |
|Fuel capacity||78 L (21 US gal; 17 imp gal)|
|Automotive design||Pininfarina (exterior)|
The Ferrari California is a Grand tourer that was launched by Ferrari at the 2008 Paris Motor Show. It is a two door "2+2" hard top Convertible. The California is powered by Front mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout Gasoline direct injection 4.3 L (260 cu in) V8 engine (the same engine as in the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione), sending a claimed 338 kW (460 PS; 453 hp) to the rear wheels. The car revives the "California" name used for the late-1950s Ferrari 250 GT.
The California represents a number of firsts for Ferrari:
- The first front engined Ferrari with a V8
- The first to feature a 7-speed Dual clutch Semi-automatic transmission, it is the only option as opposed to a traditional Ferrari gated-manual
- The first with a Retractable hardtop
- The first with Multi-link suspension
- The first with Direct petrol injection.
According to some sources originally started as a concept for a new Maserati, the resulting expense to produce the car needed the Ferrari badge to justify the ideal return on the investment. The California represents a new, fourth model range for the company, with its target market including women, with presently just one in 20 of Ferrari buyers being female.
The California will be built in a new production line adjacent to the existing factory at Maranello. The existing production line produces 27 cars per day, or 6,000 per annum. Ferrari plans to produce 5,000 Californias in the first two years of production, there by increasing Ferrari production by 50% with introduction of the model.. The model, according to many motoring magazines, is sold out until 2012.
The California has a top speed of 310 km/h (193 mph) and it can accelerate from zero to 100 km/h (62 mph) under 4 seconds. Although 285 kilograms (628 lb) heavier and 30 PS (30 hp/22 kW) less powerful than the mid-engined Ferrari F430, the California reaches 60 mph (97 km/h) in the same time as the F430 thanks to the dual-clutch transmission.
Ferrari spent over 1,000 hours in the wind tunnel with a one-third-scale model of the California perfecting its aerodynamics. With the top up, the California has a Drag coefficient of 0.32, making it the most aerodynamic Ferrari ever made.
Awards and recognition
- 2009 Best New Convertible, DuPont
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 "FERRARI CALIFORNIA TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS". italiaspeed.com. http://www.italiaspeed.com/2008/cars/ferrari/10/california_new_model/0710.html. Retrieved on 2008-10-11.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "Ferrari California". The Sunday Times. 2008-10-19. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/videos/article4961501.ece. Retrieved on 2008-10-19.
- ↑ Top Gear: California dreaming
- ↑ Ferrari California First Drive: new car signals new direction for company Retrieved on 2008-12-06
- ↑ Ramsey, Jonathon (2008-10-09). "duPont Registry's 11 "Best of" cars set horsepower, price records" (in English) (HTML). Autoblog. Weblogs, Inc.. http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/09/dupont-registrys-11-best-of-cars-set-horsepower-price-record/. Retrieved on 2008-03-20.
- Ferrari California official website
« previous — Ferrari road car timeline, 1960s–present
|Front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout/Front mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout||Grand tourer||250||275||365 GTB/4 Daytona||550||575M||599|
|2+2 (car body style)||250GT||330GT||365GT||GTC/4||GT4||400||400i||412||456||456 M||612|
|Rear mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout||V6 engine/V8 engine||Dino 206||Dino 246 GT||308GTB||308i||308 QV||328||348||360|
|246 GTS||308 GTS||208||208 Turbo||GTB/GTS Turbo||F355||F430|
|2+2 (car body style)||Dino GT4||Mondial 8||Mondial QV||3.2 Mondial||Mondial t|
|Flat-12||365BB||512 BB||512i BB||Testarossa||512TR||F512M|
|Halo vehicle||250 GTO||250 LM||288 GTO||F40||F50||Enzo Ferrari||FXX||FXX Evolution|