From Ferrari Wiki
|Auto racing||Formula One|
|Automotive design|| Mario Almondo|
(Director of Operations)
|Chassis||carbon-fibre and honeycomb composite Monocoque|
|Suspension (front)||Independent suspension, pushrod activated torsion springs|
|Suspension (rear)||As front|
|Internal combustion engine||Ferrari 056 2398cc V8 engine (90°) 19,000 RPM-Limited|
|Transmission (mechanics)||Ferrari 7 speeds + reverse Semiautomatic sequential, electronically-controlled, longitudinal gearbox, quick-shift Limited-slip differential|
|Weight||605 kg (1333.8 lb) (including driver)|
|Fuel|| Shell Oil Company V-Power ULG 64 Fuel|
Shell Oil Company SL-1098 Lubricant
BBS Wheels (front and rear): 13"
|Notable entrants||Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro (cigarette)|
|Notable drivers|| 1. Kimi Räikkönen|
2. Felipe Massa
|Debut||2008 Australian Grand Prix|
|Constructors' Championships||1 (2008 Formula One season)|
The Ferrari F2008 is a Formula One Motor racing car, which Scuderia Ferrari used to compete in the 2008 Formula One season.
The car was unveiled to the public on January 6, 2008. It features a new standard Electronic Control Unit (ECU), which is the electronic system that controls all the cars, produced by McLaren Electronic Systems. This was included to comply with the new regulations. The ECU also removes most of the driver aids used in previous seasons, including traction control, engine braking and electronically assisted starting system. It also makes the management of the differential, engine and gearchanges easier.
The car also weighs more than last season's F2007 chassis due to rule changes which includes the gearbox which has to be used for four consecutive races, higher side protection around the drivers helmet etc.
Incidents and accidents
- In the 2008 Australian Grand Prix, Felipe Massa suffered nose cone and front wing damage after an incident with David Coulthard.
- In the 2008 Monaco Grand Prix, Kimi Räikkönen lost his front wing after sliding into the back of Adrian Sutil at the Nouvelle chicane.
- In the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix, Räikkönen lost his rear wing in the pit lane, after Lewis Hamilton collided with him while the red light still on.
- In the 2008 Belgian Grand Prix, Räikkönen suffered front wing damage after running wide then spinning before the chicane.
- In the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, Massa was unsafely released from his pit box with the fuel hose still attached; Räikkönen suffered a suspension problem then hit the wall in the kerbs.
Kimi Räikkönen driving the F2008 at the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix.
Felipe Massa driving for Ferrari at the 2008 Canadian GP.
Luca Badoer testing the F2008. The variant front-nosecone has a conduit for air to flow through from bottom to up in the nose.
Complete Formula One results
(F1 driver results legend 2) (results in bold indicate pole position; results in italics indicate fastest lap)
|2008 Formula One season||Ferrari||Ferrari V8 engine||Bridgestone||2008 Australian Grand Prix||2008 Malaysian Grand Prix||2008 Bahrain Grand Prix||2008 Spanish Grand Prix||2008 Turkish Grand Prix||2008 Monaco Grand Prix||2008 Canadian Grand Prix||2008 French Grand Prix||2008 British Grand Prix||2008 German Grand Prix||2008 Hungarian Grand Prix||2008 European Grand Prix||2008 Belgian Grand Prix||2008 Italian Grand Prix||2008 Singapore Grand Prix||2008 Japanese Grand Prix||2008 Chinese Grand Prix||2008 Brazilian Grand Prix||172||1st|
† Drivers did not finish the Grand Prix, but were classified as they completed over 90% of the race distance.
- ↑ Alan Henry (2008). AUTOCOURSE 2008-09. Crash Media Group. pp. 54-56. ISBN 978-1-905334-31-5.
- ↑ "Ferrari F2008 - vented nosecone assembly". Formula One official website. 2008-04-16. http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2008/0/524.html. Retrieved on 2008-11-25.