From Ferrari Wiki
|Parent company||Fiat Group|
|Production||2005–2006 (30 Produced)|
|Predecessor||Ferrari F50 GT|
|Car classification||Race car|
|Car body style||Berlinetta|
|Internal combustion engine||6.3 L V12 engine|
|Transmission (mechanics)||6-Speed Sequential manual transmission|
|Length||4,702 mm (185.1 in)|
|Width||2,035 mm (80.1 in)|
|Height||1,147 mm (45.2 in)|
|Curb weight||1,155 kg (2,546 lb)|
The Ferrari FXX is a race car developed as part of an unusual development program by Automobile manufacturer Ferrari in Maranello, Italy. Production of the FXX began in 2005.
The car uses some technology developed from the Enzo and combines it with some all-new developments from Ferrari and some of the suppliers. However, the car is only a part of the overall program: customers pay £1.3 million ($2.5 million USD) but are only allowed to drive the car on special track days approved by Ferrari and after they drive the car they have to brief Ferrari on the car's performance. Michael Schumacher was given the last one (number 30) when he retired from Formula One racing at the end of 2006. Ferrari's sister company, Maserati, has developed a similar car, the Maserati MC12.
Essentially an evolution of the Enzo, the FXX shares some components with its parent car, but significant portions are exclusive to the FXX.
The FXX's engine is based on the Enzo's but has been expanded to 6.3 L (6262 cc, 382.1 cu in) from 6 L (5988 cc, 365.4 cu in), and output has been boosted from 660 PS (651 hp/485.4 kW), as seen in the Enzo, to 812 PS (800.9 hp/597.2 kW) at 8,500 rpm.
The gearbox incorporates the latest developments from Ferrari's F1 program and has a Shift time under 100 Millisecond. The brake pads are upgraded compared to those on the Enzo. It does, however, retain the Reinforced carbon-carbon (C/SiC) Ceramic composite discs found on the Enzo.
The tyres on the FXX are 19 inch Slick tire custom-developed for the car, though road-legal.
As with the Enzo, the seat and pedal configuration are custom fit to the user's exact measurements.
The FXX features a comprehensive data-monitoring and telemetry that not only allows the driver to improve performance, but also provides Ferrari technicians with valuable data to improve the FXX and future road-going Ferraris.
Ferrari has built 30, originally 29 of these cars, and they have all been sold to preselected past Ferrari customers, except for one that Ferrari S.p.A. kept, including Ferrari's F1 World Champion driver, Michael Schumacher, the 30th. Schumacher's FXX differs from others in that it is the only black FXX without a stripe, it comes with red trim on the wheels, it has matte exhaust tips (regular FXX's have chrome tips), and his personal logo is stitched on the racing seats.
FXX owners also participate in Ferrari's testing and brand development programs. As the vehicle is not Street-legal vehicle, owners have the option of storing the car at Ferrari's facilities. As part of the FXX program, the car is maintained by the Ferrari factory. The purpose of this particular program is to allow Ferrari's top customers exclusive access to its most up-to-date technology and to use their input to help develop future models. The FXX was reported to cost 1.5 million euro (excluding taxes), for the car and the services that Ferrari provides with it.
- Engine: Longitudinal engine, RMR layout, 75, Naturally-aspirated engine Aluminum V12 engine
- Valvetrain: DOHC, Multi-valve with Variable valve timing
- Fuel system: Robert Bosch GmbH Motronic ME7 Fuel injection
- Horsepower Max: 800 hp (597 kW) at 8500 RPM
- Specific Output: 127.75 PS (126 hp/94 kW) per litre
- Drive system: Rear wheel drive w/Traction control system
- Construction: Graphite-reinforced plastic body over carbon fiber tub with rear alloy subframe
- Front brakes: Brembo CCM (carbon-ceramic) discs w/6-piston calipers, power assist Anti-lock braking system
- Rear brakes: Brembo CCM (carbon-ceramic) discs w/4-piston calipers, power assist ABS
- Front wheels: 483 mm (19 in) x 229 mm (9 in)
- Rear wheels: 483 mm (19 in) x 330 mm (13 in)
- Steering: Rack and pinion with power assist
- Suspension: Double wishbone with push-rod actuated coil-shock units, adaptive dampers, electronic shock absorbers, anti-roll bar
- Wheelbase: 2650 mm (104.3 in)
- Front track: 1660 mm (65.4 in)
- Rear track: 1650 mm (65 in)
- Rear view is provided by a roof mounted video camera displayed on a small inboard screen.
- Top Speed: 217 mph (349 km/h)
The Ferrari FXX program will continue until 2008/2009. The car will continue to be improved under the Evolution kit, which will continually adjust specifics to create more power, change gearing, and remove drag. The V12 engine will generate 860 PS (848 hp/633 kW) at 9500 rpm. There will be gearbox changes so that shift time will be reduced to 60 milliseconds per shift, a reduction of 20 milliseconds. The car will also undergo aerodynamic changes and improvements to the traction control system.
- Maserati MC12
- ↑ "Ferrari FXX". supercars.net. http://www.supercars.net/cars/3175.html. Retrieved on 11 January 2008.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Ferrari FXX: Not Your Father’s Enzo". speedbrigade.com. http://www.speedbrigade.com/article/index.php?art/id:2. Retrieved on 20 January 2008.
- ↑ "28.10.2007 FXX programme extended". italiaspeed.com. http://www.italiaspeed.com/2007/cars/ferrari/10/fxx_programme/2810.html. Retrieved on 30 October 2007.
- Ferrari FXX Breaks Cover
- Ferrari FXX Information
- Ferrari FXX Registry
- Ferrari FXX pictures, videos and informations (French)
« previous — Ferrari road car timeline, 1960s–present
|Front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout/Front mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout||Grand tourer||250||275||365 GTB/4 Daytona||550||575M||599|
|2+2 (car body style)||250GT||330GT||365GT||GTC/4||GT4||400||400i||412||456||456 M||612|
|Rear mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout||V6 engine/V8 engine||Dino 206||Dino 246 GT||308GTB||308i||308 QV||328||348||360|
|246 GTS||308 GTS||208||208 Turbo||GTB/GTS Turbo||F355||F430|
|2+2 (car body style)||Dino GT4||Mondial 8||Mondial QV||3.2 Mondial||Mondial t|
|Flat-12||365BB||512 BB||512i BB||Testarossa||512TR||F512M|
|Halo vehicle||250 GTO||250 LM||288 GTO||F40||F50||Enzo Ferrari||FXX||FXX Evolution|